Monday, July 9, 2018

Vacation 2018 Day Two Savannah, Ga.

The drive from our campsite at Savannah Oaks RV Resort to downtown Savannah was over 18 miles.  I think I'll look for an RV park closer for the next visit.  The drive isn't bad and we got to the parking area at the Visitor's Center early so we were able to park easily.  Having a large truck, city parking is tight.  Not too many parking spaces for a Ford F-350 diesel.  But Dear Hubby is a great driver and patient with little spaces.  

A few things we learned about Savannah:
  1. It's HOT in the Summer
  2. Plan on more than one day
  3. Savannah loves it's history
  4. Wear comfortable shoes
  5. Drink plenty of water
  6. Come back & do it again when it's cooler!

Girl M and I decided a backpack was our best choice for sightseeing.  We packed a Yeti style thermos of water, extra water bottle, sunscreen, chapstick, gum, selfie stick, extra pair of shoes for me, tickets, maps, money, phones and cool relief neck bands.  We are set!

Sightseers for the Day

Savannah, Georgia


We paid for the Old Town trolley tour of Savannah with the Prohibition Museum and Savanna Riverboat sightseeing cruise.  It was $68.41 per person.  It was a good value and worth every cent!  

We started off riding the trolley for the whole 1-1/2 hour tour.  Our trolley driver was full of history facts and stories.  Very entertaining and interesting.  We learned so much about Savannah and it's history.  We decided to get off the trolley the second time around at stop #7 of #15.  The Prohibition museum was Air conditioned and we REALLY enjoyed the tour.  Very informative.  Some workers were dressed in period style wardrobe and very charming.  The wax figures were very lifelike!

Cop meets Cop!
 Girl M. thought this wax figure looked like a man we go to Church with!

Prohibition Museum

I suggested Debi's Restaurant or the Boar's Head for Lunch but Dear Hubby wasn't interested.  Then we walked past B&D Burgers.  Burgers always sound good, but there was a guy heckling on the sidewalk out front.  We went the other way. After walking around the Marketplace area we found a bite to eat at the Cafe At The Market on Julian Street.

Cafe At the Market

Waiting for Lunch


We sat inside in the A/C to cool down and refresh for a while.  The patio area was large and on any cooler day we would have loved to sit out there.  Our waiter was Brennan, a college age young man who seemed like he liked his job.  He was friendly and made suggestions to us for lunch.  He was a very good waiter,kept our drink cups filled and offered us to-go cups, he deserves a pat on the back.  

We always try to order something "new" when on vacation.  It's a tradition we had since the kids were little.  It's harder for me since I eat a very strict Keto diet but I usually can find something meat,vegetable or salad.  Dear Hubby who will only eat seafood fried, ordered the last thing I thought he would eat:

Grouper Veracruz — 13.95

Palmetto roses
Along the Riverfront there were artist painting and crafting and musicians.  I can only imagine how busy it is in the evenings.

There were heat warnings out for Savannah while we were there.  Now we live in Central Florida and it's hot but it seemed 100% hotter here.  There was no breeze, no afternoon thunderstorms, it was humid and HOT!

I worried about walking in Savannah.  Dear Hubby broke is leg a few years ago after falling off our roof preparing for a hurricane.  Then after a few months of complications had food surgery for an overlooked lisfranc fracture.  Then this past hurricane season I tore a ligament in my foot and have been dealing with plantar fasciatis for the past year.  I know how important comfortable shoes, ibuprofen and rest are.

I usually try to wear Sketcher GoWalk slip-on shoes for daily wear and my feet do great but sometimes my feet feel hot having to wear socks.  I found these Sketcher shoes on QVC before our trip and they are great!  Cool, comfortable and my feet never did ache or hurt.  I'm thinking of ordering a second pair!

Sketcher wedge


Girl M and Dear Hubby had to find some Ice Cream to cool off with.  The line at Leopold's was almost around the corner when we rode by so that was out.  Since we were already along the Riverfront they found a cold bite at River Street Sweets Candy Shop.  They didn't try the free sample of a praline but they loved the ice cream.  I enjoyed my water in the shade, people watching.

We rode the Savannah Belle Ferry to waste time. It was air conditioned!  It was just a quick ride but it was nice.

I brought along these type cooling neck bands I made a few years ago.  They were a life saver!  I soaked them the night before in water, put them into a resealable zip top bag and added ice during the day.  A must have for hot days, I didn't care if they looked kookie or not either.


Finally, it was time for the Riverboat Cruise!  It was a beautiful boat.  We decided to sit on the top with the open view of the Savannah River.  Thinking once moving there would be a nice breeze, but it was Hot, if I hadn't told you already.  Even when we were moving, you couldn't feel the breeze.  Just sticky, humid, HOT!  
Ready for a Riverboat ride!

Savannah Riverboat Scenic Cruise


I'm melting!

Girl M. on the top deck
The story of the waving girl statue was one of my favorites.  They said to look at her feet when you visit the statue, they're HUGE!

Waving Girl Statue

Cargo Ship

Tugboat

But the ride itself was very enjoyable.  We learned a lot and the scenery from the boat was great.  You don't realize how large the cargo ships coming in are or how many containers they hold.  The bridge to South Carolina was impressive too.  It's a mile high.  That's amazing!

No comments:

Post a Comment