Monday, July 16, 2018

Vacation 2018 Day Four Asheville, NC

We got up early on Day Four to head to Biltmore Estates.  The skies were clear and it was warm.  A big change from what was expected yesterday.

The campground we are staying out was only 15 minutes from the Biltmore.  It was an easy drive and we were there before we knew it.  

The drive up to the Biltmore Estates through the forest was just beautiful.  I had to ride with my window down and enjoy it.  The birds were singing and we could hear water rushing.  I remember the drive from 20 years ago, but I thought parking was closer.  We had about a 5 minute walk from the parking lot to the house.  Nothing too strenuous, very peaceful.


Biltmore Estates
 A very nice lady offered to take our photo.  How kind since we are the worse selfie takers!  We need to take a class.

Family photo
Even though this was my third visit it still impressed me.  The house is just magnificent.  To just imagine life on such a grand scale is astonishing. There is a calm about the house that just makes you enjoy every moment.

Girl M was free so we splurged and purchased the audio guide.  It was only $10 per person and worth it.  I really liked that you could listen to the audio then take your time and look at each room at your own pace.  


Biltmore Estates

Biltmore Estates

Biltmore Estates

Biltmore Estates

Biltmore Estates

Biltmore Estates

Biltmore Estates

Biltmore Estates

Biltmore Estates

Biltmore Estates

Biltmore Estates

Biltmore Estates

Biltmore Estates

Dear Hubby took all the photos because I was in awe of the house's beauty.  I'm glad he did because there was so much to see I couldn't focus on taking pictures too.  He did a great job!

The house was warm but not unbearable.  They had fans and a few air conditioners going and the few windows that were open the breeze was very nice.


Biltmore Estates

Biltmore Estates

We saw a heard of deer and a few turkeys while looking from one of the second floor porches.

Biltmore Estates

Biltmore Estates

Porch Selfie

Family selfie

By the time we were done with the house tour the line to get into the house was very long and the weather warmed up a lot.  We were so glad we got here early and were able to finish before it got too hot.





Making our way to the gardens I didn't realize how large it was.  We tried to take it slow and I am glad that there many benches to rest along the way.  




The greenhouses were just amazing!  There was so much to see & take in that it just overwhelming.  You could smell these gardenia flowers before we even saw it.  I told Dear Hubby & Girl M to smell it and this is what I got for a photo op!  They are good sports!


Gil M & Dad 2018

On Facebook the same day our 8 years ago photo:

Girl M & Dad 2010!

I got Girl M to take a few photos with me.

Girl M & I : Biltmore Gardens


Biltmore Gardens

After walking through the gardens and the greenhouses we slowly made our way back to the main house.  It was very warm by now and we skipped walking over to the three bass ponds.  The steps were giving my hip and Dear Hubby's foot a hard time and we still had to walk back to our truck.  We took it slow and enjoyed as much of the shade as possible.

We planned on eating out for Lunch and found a BBQ place on the way back to the campground called Okie Dokies Smokehouse.  Unfamiliar with the area we always say if we see a restaurant with Police cars/Utility workers/City Workers parked in the parking lot the food is probably pretty good.  Our reasoning did not disappoint!


Okie Dokies Smokehouse
2375 US Hwy 70
SwannanoaNC 28778


Okie Dokies Smokehouse was busy and the only seating was outside on the porch.  Luckily there was a breeze and it was great.  Our waitress was a little overly (sweet tea) nice.  Lots of "honey", "sugar" and "y'all".  The restaurant was nothing fancy, and seemed very clean.  Lunch was served on paper plates but the food made up for ALL that!

Girl M ordered the Smokehouse Wings
Seasoned, slow smoked, and tossed in our own zesty bbq sauce-half dozen large wings, mac & cheese, fried okra, hushpuppies and our bbq ranch $8.99

We never saw the mac & cheese because Girl M must have inhaled it!  She said the wings tasted like chili and everything was delicious.  

Dear Hubby ordered the Smokehouse Ribs with fried okra and hushpuppies HALF RACK $14.99

As our waitress was bringing out our order she hit the tray on the door frame and Dear Hubby's entire plate landed on the floor!  But another was brought out within 5 minutes and all was good.

"The best ribs I ever had"  is the only thing I heard from him!

There were a few choices for me and I chose to order the Smokehouse Plate-Little Combo
Your choice of any two different meats* Served with your choice of two sides and hushpuppies $11.79
*meat choices: pork, beef, chicken, ribs.  I chose the beef and pork
Side choices for me were a little tough this time because the only non-starch, green vegetable they offered were collard greens.  So I just double ordered them.
Everything was delicious but the star of my plate was the pulled beef.  It was the best I've ever had!!  
We've never been to a BBQ place that offered hushpuppies for their bread choice.  Girl M & Dear Hubby loved them.  She wanted to stop by on our way out of town and order some for the trip!
I wish I could have tried the BBQ Sundae: A festival favorite! Pulled Pork bbq, baked beans, and coleslaw-layered yumminess! $6.79 *GLUTEN FREE.  Very interesting!
We give Okie Dokies Smokehouse and A+.  Great food.
I know it's vacation but I still have to be mindful of money and since my way of eating is so limited I think it's easier to eat at home.  Dear Hubby eats out everyday for Lunch with work and I eat out as little as possible, maybe twice a month at the most.  I never realized how much money eating out cost.  I planned $50 per meal and we averaged just a few dollars under.  
After filling our bellies, we went back to the campground, walked the dogs and decided to go for a drive on the Blue Ridge Parkway.  
We drove E on I-40 to Curtis Creek Road then got up onto the Blue Ridge Parkway, went up to Mt Mitchell State Park, W on the Parkway then back E on 40 making a complete circle of about 70 miles.  The drive was beautiful and the curvy, hairpin turns is something we don't have in Florida.
Valley & incoming thunderstorm

Mountain View

Blue Ridge Mountains

We drove up the Blue Ridge Parkway to Mt. Mitchell.  The walk to the summit was brick paved but we had to take a break or two.  280 yards of uphill treking isn't something we do everyday!  We brought the dogs with us and they loved every minute of it!

After finally making it to the summit another couple informed us of flying ticks!  We lasted about 2 minutes up there and we couldn't get down quick enough!  YUCK!

Mt. Mitchell

Mt. Mitchell

We loved Savannah, Ga but today was my favorite day of our vacation.  I'm not sure if any other day can beat this day.
We're off tomorrow to Stone Mountain, Georgia.  
Until next time.............
Bonnie





1 comment:

  1. Biltmore Estates was magnificent. I love looking at old mansions.

    ReplyDelete